Sunday, February 1, 2015

Module 2

     Of the many theorists who have studied and founded thoughts on the ways that humans develop, it is the findings of Vygotsky that most intrigue me.  Vygotsky believed the clues to understanding mental development lie in children’s social processes.  He identified dual paths to cognitive development, the elementary processes and psychological processes.  The heart of Vygotsky’s theory is the belief that elementary biological processes are transformed into higher psychological processes. For example, a biological process is to learn to speak but that process turns into a psychological process when those words are transformed into complete, meaningful sentences, when we formulate thoughts and ideas, or deduce and comprehend. 
     Vygotsky’s concept of the zone of proximal development locates the knowledge base that the child operates within, or the tasks that a child can do independently with the skills that the child will be capable of doing with the help of a parent, mentor or teacher.  This is a critical component to assuring that my students will benefit from the teaching that takes place in my classroom.  If we teach below the student’s mode of proximal development, there is not any real teaching taking place.  Students are able to complete these tasks independently.  If we teach to far above the zone of proximal development the material is well beyond concepts the student can understand.  I’m sure students rarely benefit from learning about how to calculate the axis of rotation of an angle in first grade, but we can begin to teach them about shapes, angles and symmetry.  Some may even benefit from learning basic principles of area.  I think that understanding the concepts of proximal development will be of great assistance in differentiating instruction for the classroom.
     Skinner’s principles on operant conditioning are extremely important to the educational realm.  Skinner believed that in order to understand behavior, we must look at the causes of an action and its consequences.  Skinner’s principles help us to understand how to reinforce behaviors, whether positive or negative, and how to encourage the wanted behaviors to continue.

     I think that as we explore the theories of these different intellectuals, we must understand the variety and unique personalities that we each possess. The behavior model that might fit one student or any human being, can certainly not meet the needs of the next.  In understanding that we can ensure that we are finding strategies that meet the needs of all.

4 comments:

  1. As an educator I can see how you would be drawn to Vygotosky's zone of proximal development. Finding that "sweet spot" on where a student is can be challenging. When we think of development we also need to consider intellectual development. Piaget theories of cognitive development only shows us a rough outline that does not include culture. However, as you read through the chapters it is easy to find flaws in all of them. That is why taking an eclectic approach to development is ideal. Skinner does a wonderful job on understanding the role of rewards and punishments in school. However, without examining culture the true picture of a child's development will not be evident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beverly,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog for this week. I honestly felt like you were "teaching" me. You did an excellent job of identifying, explaining, giving examples, and applying the theories you chose to talk about. The points you made about Vygotosky's "zone of proimal development" really got me thinking. As a music teacher I was reading this chapter trying to identify a theory that might be good to try to incorporate in my classroom. After reading your thoughts on the zone of proximal development, and Prof Mollin's comments, I considered, "how do I accomplish finding that "sweet spot" for each student in my jazz band?" A band composed of all kinds of learners ranging from freshman to senior. I really liked how you tie your thoughts into how it can be applied to education. I feel like I learned a little bit more about your chosen theories after reading this. I would like to attempt to focus my next blog/reflection on how it can be applied or incorporated in the classroom. It definitely helped widen my scope of the chapter after reading your incites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beverly,
    The theories of Vygotsky are very interesting, and I also believe I relate a lot to them. I believe that I relate to Vygotsky's proposition that social processes have significant impact on satisfactory growth of individuals. In addition, I also believe that family closeness, and frequent interactions shape and mold adolescents' maturity and choices of friends, career, and behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beverly,

    I really enjoyed how you tied the Zone of Proximal Development into math teaching instruction and then related it to differentiation. I never thought of it in those terms. Even in my own education, there are some moments where I am at the bottom of the range; reading silently and absorbing knowledge. Then on Wednesday's during class I feel like I am able to really analyze the information because I am interacting with my professors and peer. This is probably the range where I reach my highest ability. This just also made me think of Bloom's Taxonomy. That often, learning at a "low range" can also look like learning at the bottom of Bloom's theory which is "remembering."

    Thanks for the thoughts!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete