Monday, February 16, 2015

Module Four

     There are things that I struggle to say as an adult.  I have often reflected on my life and thought about how somewhere in my social development I learned that it was inappropriate to speak up for myself.  I learned that it was kind to filter my thoughts and feminine to be dainty and meek.  I learned that it was okay for boys to be loud and outgoing and to sometimes go against the grain.  As an adult, I battle this gender stereotype that was created within me so long ago.  I make an effort to speak out when I have something to share and express myself when I feel that something is important. I realize how important this attribute is to success.  Somehow we believe that it is okay for boys to be superheroes and girls to be victims or maidens.  I think it is so important as a parent and future teacher to make sure we aren’t labeling boys and girls with stereotypes and that we are asking students to challenge the stereotypes that already internally exist. What kind of world would we live in if boys didn’t cook and girls couldn’t be astronauts?

     When I reflect on all of the reasons that I struggle with speaking up, I also recognize that it can be even more challenging for children to express their feelings, especially when those feelings may be surrounding abuse or neglect.  There are many developmental aspects of play.  Play is something that children engage in for the sake of being enjoyable.  Vygotsky believed that play contributes significantly to cognitive development.  He believed that through play children learn to think more abstractly and symbolically and therefore more capable to think within the zone of proximal development.  Play enables students to explore less concrete principles, develop solutions and work through consequences.  Children learn important social skills, how to share and problem solve, all in an imaginary and safe place.  Chapter seven gives us ideas on how to effectively use play to help kids developmentally as well as how they can use play as a tool to work through problems.   Toys for play are usually broken into four categories; social and fantasy, exploration and mastery materials, music,/art and movement and gross motor play.  Giving children experience with all of these types of toys helps children grow developmentally.  As schools move away from play, considering it less valuable as students leave preschool and kindergarten, I think we must remember that play can be a tool to further student learning.   

4 comments:

  1. Reading your post is very emotional for me because I have been around many children that are been abuse in my young age and I did not realize how it could or would have affected them in their adult years until I moved away from Nigeria and come to USA. Each time I visit home and I come across some of the people, i just shake head and feel sorry for our culture and values that can not protect young kids from Monster adult. This is the reason why I said on my blog that corporal punishment is a problem topic for me answer because some use it to just abuse children. Thank you for mentioning the topic on gender differences,it is very bad when our culture see boys to strong and label girls to be weak. In this regards I thank God that my children are born and raised in the States where gender differences is not that obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Play might sound like just fun and games but it has a major impact on development. I really liked your connections/ quote "Vygotsky believed that play contributes significantly to cognitive development. He believed that through play children learn to think more abstractly and symbolically and therefore more capable to think within the zone of proximal development." The social and cognitive impact of play is huge. Early education does not get enough credit for how play connects to children's cognitive development.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beverly, you nailed it perfectly as far as play plays important roles in the development of kids in early childhood. You showed bias for Vygotsky again in his assessing the role of play in kids' development just like you singled out Vygotsky in his method of describing lifespan development in Module 1. I think Mildred Parten's categorization of types of play children engage in is very meaningful and any observer could relate to them. In my blog I picked play by kids as fundamentally important in molding their development. Anyway if kids don't spend their wake periods playing what else can they do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel about speaking up. I've always been a quiet and reserved person myself. I would say I still am quiet and reserved unless I've grown comfortable with the people I'm around or I'm involved with something I deem important. I believe as I've grown older it has also become easier. I have more things to say now, I feel more strongly about my beliefs, and I know how to prepare better now when it comes to things like presentations. I agree that as educators we need to emphasize that students, know matter the sex, can accomplish or do any of the things they set out to do. I would also like to say I currently live in that world of boys not being able how to cook. It is not a very pleasant world but the macaroni and cheese is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete